When visiting Morocco, you’ll seemingly have Marrakesh and presumably Fes and Tangier in your itinerary, however what about visiting Chefchaouen?
Right here’s our information to visiting the Jewel of North Morocco – Chefchauoen.
A quick information to Chefchaouen
Chefchaouen, near the favored port of Tangier is called as such as a result of a mountain vary above town that appears like two chaouen or goat’s ‘horns’. The town lies between the horns.
Chefchaouen was constructed by Spanish exiles as a fortress towards in Portuguese in 1471, who have been as you’ll know nonetheless ruthless, highly effective kings of the ocean on the time.
Image good Chefchaouen
With its pale blue homes and buildings (painted as such because of a pact we have been informed, between Arab- white and Jew- darkish blue, the buildings are painted on this hue twice a yr), Andalusian fashion pink terracotta roof tiles and rugged mountainous landscapes, Chefchaouen is exclusive, greater than it’s typical. Maybe it’s the Moroccan metropolis as we see depicted in Disney animations and in our goals.
It’s greater than fairly. It’s good, actually.
Chefchaouen is a straightforward metropolis to go to. Relaxed. A number of the younger native males put on brief pants, the vivid pink stripes of the berber cloths worn by the mountain girls draw and maintain the gaze. The town is hilly and the tempo is gradual. A skinny river snakes by means of it.
Oh, and it’s a well-known indisputable fact that guests come right here to smoke a particular sort of marijuana and ‘take into consideration life’ within the phrases of our information.
A vacation feeling when visiting Chefchaouen
As a result of you may see the expanse of town if you hike up the close by hills or from numerous steep-sloped streets, you get the sensation of realizing and understanding the breadth of it, extra simply. Against say, Fes or flat as a straight-hair-on-a-limp-day Marrakech the place the medina is a labyrinth and you can’t see past one slim alley at a time and positively haven’t any available vantage level to scope out the extent of town.
Sitting by a brook, sipping the ever present Moroccan mint tea, I smiled at Jelle who was wearing shorts (and never feeling like a pesky vacationer, as many locals wearing the identical method) and I knew what he would say when requested “Is that this your favorite?”
The Blue Metropolis provides you the calm vacation feeling a go to to Kerala (or Cape Town) would after a go to to Mumbai/New Delhi (or Johannesburg). No roadside distributors lopping the highest off recent coconuts, however you get the concept.
Merely put, I liked visiting Chefchaouen.
Visiting Chefchaouen: the place to remain, eat and store
1. Three days could be good, longer could be higher as you may go to the mountain villages or close by forests with a information and sleep out.
2. We stayed at Casa Hassan, properly on the sister riad just a few meters down. It’s quieter however service is just not the friendliest we encountered in Morocco. However, typically you don’t wish to should undergo the motions of lengthy greetings exchanged with workers, particularly after just a few weeks on the go. So we weren’t too bothered by the silence. It’s fairly properly appointed and when you ask why it isn’t number one or 2 on TripAdvisor, properly…. Chefchaouen is a frequented by a slew backpackers, the cheaper spots will discover a larger rating, naturally.
3. The restaurant Tissemlal on the lodge is properly acquainted with foreigners and whereas there will not be many locals consuming right here you can be spoken to in English. I used to be even requested if I’d like sizzling sauce. “Indians all the time need sizzling sauce”, the waiter stated to me, as I attempted to determine how he learn my thoughts. I all the time need sizzling sauce, good man! (Good English is just not all the time spoken by all lodge/riad workers throughout Morocco, menus in Chefchaouen are rarely in English, a terrific factor to an extent).
4. Discover the medina and go to the merchants. It’s a lot simpler to do than the larger cities and more durable to get misplaced. Should you’re in search of the Berber cloths the ladies from the mountains put on as skirts, purchase these from the Girls’s Cooperative retailer on the market – not costly (round 50 dirham every) and the standard is sweet. Or purchase from quite a lot of distributors, your selection. Use as tablecloths, or in my case: meals styling props. Take a look at our ideas for bargaining in Marrakech for some buying recommendation.
5. Have tea and a snack or dinner at one of many cafes alongside the river. A trickle of water, actually. (Under the spot the place the ladies wash garments).
6. It would be best to climb the hill to the previous mosque for views over town. It’s not far however put on sunscreen and take a cap and water. There’s a properly alongside the best way and a vendor promoting refreshments on the prime.
7. For all of the reviews about plentiful pot/cannabis/Mary-Jane, I haven’t any clue the place you will discover any when visiting Chefchaouen. Sorry, buddies.
Searching for extra Morocco ideas? Take a look at these posts: