Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
Simple technique for cooking salmon or different forms of fish in a toaster oven that’s foolproof for a moist and juicy fillet each time!
Believe it or not, it is quite easy to cook salmon or other fish fillets in a toaster oven. I’ve used this method exclusively for at least a couple of years. Since a surprising number of people shy away from cooking fish at home, I thought I would share this easy hack as it is less intimidating than the stovetop or oven.
Toaster Oven vs Stove for Cooking Fish
There are three reasons why I prefer cooking salmon and other types of fish like cod, haddock, flounder, and Mahi in a toaster oven over the stovetop or range oven.
First, this method is obviously more energy efficient. Think about how much less electricity you are using with a toaster oven versus the oven. If you have a gas oven or outside grill, the comparison should still apply, especially considering the price spikes for oil and gas recently.
Secondly, using a toaster oven results in a more juicy piece of fish. This is because it is easier to avoid over-cooking the salmon/fish fillets using the toaster function. You will understand why after I explain how to do it below.
Third, the toaster method is desirable during warm summer months when using the stove results in an uncomfortably warm kitchen! Cooking fish on the stovetop in a frying pan is also very heat-producing in my opinion.
Using a small, countertop toaster oven instead does the job just as well…even better…than the range oven with little heat output to the surrounding rooms.
Some people resolve this problem by grilling out on the patio. This works too, but if you need to be inside for whatever reason, the toaster oven can’t be beat especially during the hot summer!
How to Cook Fish in a Toaster Oven
The first step to successful cooking of salmon and other fish fillets is your source. Quality matters and you get what you pay for especially when it comes to food.
Wild is Worth the Price
I recommend using wild fish as this will ensure a more nutritious dish. Beware of fillets labeled “sustainable”, as that is misleading marketing-speak for farm-raised, doubtlessly GMO fish.
I like to recommend this local foods website for high quality wild fish of all types. You should purchase a single fillet or in bulk for higher reductions. Free transport is obtainable as effectively.
In case you purchase your fish from one other supply, make sure you search for the next:
- No antibiotics
Steps to Completely “Toast” Your Fish!
Notice that this technique is perfect for 1-4 fillets. Greater than that actually gained’t slot in a small toaster oven pan! Right here is the straightforward course of:
- Evenly house a pat of butter for every fillet on a small pan or oven-safe dish that matches inside your toaster oven. This ensures straightforward removing of the fillets with out utilizing foil and in addition retains the fish moist.
- Place a thawed fillet pores and skin facet up on high of every pat of butter. This ensures that the oils within the pores and skin filter down by the meat whereas the fillet is cooking. This additional ensures a moist consequence. I bought this tip years in the past from a chef!
- Place dish or pan within the toaster oven and change the setting to darkish toast.
- Press begin and let the fish toast till the oven routinely switches off.
- Swap the setting to medium toast.
- Press begin and as soon as once more let the fish toast on this decrease setting till the oven switches off.
- Let the fillets sit within the warmth of the toaster oven after it switches off for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Take away the pan and check for doneness. I do that by taking a fork and slicing every fillet in half lengthwise.
- In case you can lower the fillets simply with a fork, they’re completed. In case you get a little bit of resistance, they might use yet one more “toasting” on light-medium. This will likely be doubtless in case you are cooking greater than two fillets.
- Take away the pores and skin if desired (it’ll pull off simply with a knife and fork) and serve instantly.
Do you’ve gotten an uncommon technique for cooking fish? In that case, please share with us!