Ano Koufonisi, often referred simply as Koufonisi, is the principle attraction within the Little Cyclades in Greece. There may be additionally one other Koufonisi, Kato Koufonisi close by. The entire Small Cyclades are sometimes referred as Koufonisia.
When you’re excited about visiting Koufonisi, right here’s what to anticipate.
Highlights, sights and issues to do on Koufonisi
- Sea caves: on Pano Koufonissi’s North Cape.
- Saint Nicholas’ small church: over Karnagio with a view to 9 islands!
- Mylos (Mill): A standard windmill that has been renovated into a phenomenal bar.
- Seashores: There are a few seashores on Koufonisi. The most effective are within the south-east. The wind principally is available in from the north and likewise the ocean tends to be considerably rougher to the north. – Charakopou – Fanos – Parianos – Pisina – Platia Punta – Pori (typically a nudist affair)
Festivals on Koufonisi
- Saint Goerge’s church: the protector of the island. On Saint George’s day (usually celebrated on twenty third April, but when it coincides with Lent then it’s celebrated on Easter Monday), there’s a litany/procession of his icon on the seaside avenue, whereas the streets are coated with rose petals. They placed on fireworks and all of the small boats of the island are crusing alongside. Tripe soup with vinegar and a stew or pasta is obtainable to everybody after which the feast begins.
- Panagia’s (Virgin Mary’s) church on Kato Koufonissi: located on Deti’s pier and constructed on historic ruins. On August fifteenth an enormous pageant takes place there. On the finish of the Mass, meals is obtainable to everybody after which individuals are transferred by boats that are competing within the race to get to Pano Koufonissi first, the place the feast is held.
- Fishermen feast: on June twenty fourth the captains of the caiques prepare dinner for everyone on the pier the standard cacavia (boulliabaisse-a soup made with various kinds of fish). A feast follows with conventional music and dance.
Getting round and to Koufonisi, Greece
It’s not definitely worth the trouble to carry your individual automobile to the Koufonisi island, though it’s in idea potential.
A large street takes you from the port to Finikas’ seaside and the tenting web site. From the village there may be an asphalt street that takes you to Pori, and one other one which takes you to the petrol station and the helicopter airport. Different roads grow to be little greater than dust paths. The gasoline station has opened in 2005.
Renting a bike
Motorbikes and mopeds are in style alternate options to vehicles. Particularly mopeds are steadily utilized by native youths and may go to many locations that vehicles can not go. An instance are the twisted slender streets of Koufonisi metropolis.
When you begin a day-trip with a moped, ensure you have a full tank, as gasoline stations are typically exhausting to search out. An additional cease at a gasoline station can save a number of nerves.
When renting a moped, test if the profile of the tyres is okay and if the brakes work correctly. If it’s the final automobile in retailer, be suspicious – it could possibly be the one which wants a restore badly. Although helmets usually are not required on the streets, it may be a good suggestion to ask your rent-a-bike for one.
Kostas Prasinos’ small boat runs a daily every day service from the port to the seashores of: Finikas, Italida and Pori.
Different small boats join Pano (Higher) and Kato (Decrease) Koufonissi. Koufonisi is accessible through ferry from Naxos, and Athens.
All ferry and excessive velocity ferry firms: schedules, connections, availability and costs, between Koufonisia, different Greek islands & Piraeus port (Athens) are right here: www.ferries.gr/booking
Generally cruise ships dock on the Port.
Lodging in Koufonisi
Seek for locations to remain in Koufonisi under:
Searching for extra Greek islands to discover? Take a look at these posts: