Dutch island life and high delicacies is a superb match!
It’s powerful to beat a day on the seaside, which then ends in a comfortable restaurant, the place you get handled with a 5 or 6 course menu.
And whenever you head to Texel, that is what you may expertise your self. I’ve been to Texel and was stunned by its delicacies and the way the cooks combine the native merchandise and serve scrumptious meals.
We suggest a couple of eating places, the place we’ve been to, in our article “Best Things to Do on Texel, Netherlands“.
I had the pleasure to strive totally different programs and each was its personal spotlight. The chef from the Drank & Spijslokaal Het Schoutenhuys shared the recipe for the bacon cake, which he serves in his restaurant. This was so good!
That’s your alternative to get your Texel expertise at house with this recipe:
Prepare dinner Time:
1 hour half-hour
I visited the island Texel within the Netherlands and loved a 6 course menu on the Schoutenhuys restaurant.
They serve native delicacies in Asian model within the measurement of tapas.
As a desert we acquired served the very scrumptious Spekkoek (bacon cake).
The recipe is from the cookbook “Kleine gerechten uit de indische keuken” by Ciska Kress.
- 500g butter
- 10 eggs
- 500g white high quality sugar (Basterdsuiker)
- 250g wheat flour
- 5 tsp anise powder
- 10 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tsp clove powder
- 3 tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 ½ tsp cardamom powder
For this recipe you want an oven the place you may function high and backside warmth individually.
Use a springform pan with 22 cm.
- First, cream the butter with a mixer till clean. Separate the eggs and add the egg yolks and the high quality sugar to the butter.
- Beat the combination for about 10 minutes with the mixer.
- Beat the egg whites and add them, then add the flour. Combine this dough properly.
- Divide the dough into two halves, add all of the spices to at least one half.
- Preheat the oven to 275 levels for 10 minutes.
- Grease the springform pan with butter. Now set the oven to the bottom setting (125 levels). Bake the primary skinny layer within the oven for 3 to 4 minutes with backside warmth solely.
- Then flip off the underside warmth and activate the highest warmth. Bake alternating brown and white layers, about 18 to twenty complete. You’ll be able to count on 3 minutes of baking time per layer.
In complete, the baking course of will take about 50-60 minutes.
- When the springform pan is totally full, flip off the highest warmth and activate the underside warmth.
So let the cake relaxation for one more 5 to 10 minutes at 125 levels.
Let the cake cool and minimize into skinny slices.
There are much more scrumptious native Texel meals. And it’s arduous to pick one and there’s no want for it, because the VVV Texel acquired a complete checklist of local Texel recipes here.